Neurologist – Know If You Need to Consult One
A neurologist is a medical doctor who specializes in treating diseases of the nervous system. The nervous system is made of two parts: the central and peripheral nervous system. It includes the brain and spinal cord.
When to consult a Neurologist?
- Early identification of symptoms like sudden difficulty in speaking, smiling, walking, raising arms etc. is extremely important to diagnose a stroke. The stroke is completely curable if immediate medical treatment is given to the patient.
- Other symptoms such as unconsciousness, shaking of limbs, frothing from the mouth, self-rolling of eyes are suggestive of epilepsy and immediate consultation with a neurologist is required as it is a fully treatable disorder.
- Forgetfulness in family members is often regarded as a part of aging or stress but a neurologist should immediately be consulted as these symptoms could be due to dementia. This condition too may either be completely cured or partially relieved by medicines. Dementia has a great effect on the ability of a person to think and the family needs to change according to the manner of care and have a person to stay with the patient throughout the day.
What can be done to prevent Neurological Diseases?
While epilepsy, brain tumors, and few other diseases may not be preventable but there are some of the problems that one can prevent with the following:
- Diet Modification – Adopt a balanced, low-fat diet.
- Regular exercise and increased physical activity
- Avoid smoking